Friday, November 7, 2008

To Danny (Watch out for those Scientologist)


To Danny

I followed my usual patter of walking to Def Jam, first exiting Grand Central, walking West along 42nd then taking a right uptown on Broadway through Times Square and going back west to 8th ave somewhere around 46th or 47th street. I purposely stick to the same route because I often see the same people over and over again.

One person I’ve seen before is a guy by the name of Danny. He’s one of the many people soliciting naïve tourists in Time Square. Danny preys on people like me, people that are too nice and kind hearted to give a respectful person the cold soldier.

I was walking my normal route when I saw Danny, positioned just as he was when I first saw him a few weeks ago. He dressed sort of strange, not sure if it was required by his "work", or if it was just his style, but he wore glasses, was clean shaven and had on a flashy sort of preppy get up.

It was raining and I held out my umbrella to get Danny’s attention.

“You remember me” Danny gave me that look to say, “uhhh, no”

“You wanted me to do your survey, but I didn’t have time”

“Oh yeah, oh yeah, what’s your name again?”

I told Danny my name, “what’s your name man?”

“Ferarri” we laughed.

A few weeks ago Danny tried to get me to take a personality survey.

“Would you like to take the survey now”

“I’m actually running late again, I have to meet a girl” I explained to Danny that I was a photographer and was meeting up with a perspective model for a photoshoot.

“I’d still like to take the survey though”

I made several key mistakes, the first was talking to Danny in the first place. My parents of course, always told me “not to talk to strangers” and for good reason, especially in NYC. The second mistake was telling Danny my name. Not my government, but the name that people refer to me by. My last mistake, giving the kid MY CELL #.

“Here’s a card man” Danny surreptitiously folds up a 4x6 post card looking thing and sticks it in my hand. He continues to talk while I glance at my watch to see that I’m running about 10 minutes late for my meeting.

“I gotta go man, I’m running late”

“Mr. Late, always running late…I’ll call you tomorrow, you gunna be around?”

“ I say yes, but mean no”

As I turn the corner, I take out the post card that Danny gave me. On one side is a strange advertisement for a “Modern Science” 15 minute short film. On the other is a map with a big DOT labeling “Church of Scientology of New York”. I was CONNED! There was no god damn survey. Danny was recruiting me to be a fucking Scientologist. I felt betrayed. I walk towards 8th ave and see the Church of Scientology building that Danny was recruiting for.


Hopefully he doesn’t call, but if I see him again, I’m going to play along with his little games.

pop/ul/ar/GURU

Sent Via Blackberry By AT&T

2 CLICK TO COMMENTS!:

Unknown said...

Ohh..there is a personality test all right.

It is designed in a way that no matter what answers you give, your results will show you are a troubled person and desperately need Scientology to solve them for you. I have seen versions of the result sheet that don't even show positive personality traits, just negative ones.

I'm pretty sure, you'd be too secure to let the negative outcome bother you. It just means you are not good cult-material.

But by all means, play along further. You'll be able to do a cheap communications course for example, or one of their other starting courses. Now, they ARE kind of strange courses, as they involve staring into an other person's eyes for an hour and such.

But some find these courses help them. That, and the lovebombing you'll receive from the Scientologists, may soften your critical thinking abilities enough to start believing all these stories about super powers that are so prevalent inside the buildings.

So the concept of going 'clear' starts sounding attractive to you. 20 Extra IQ points, no longer sick and perfect memory, or any other treat they sense you'd appreciate; you only need to fork out the 50 grand required to get there.

And so you go for it, and soon you'll receive your first auditing sessions. Not much later, your first encounters with the internal legal system, your first pressure to disconnect from critical friends or family members, your first Sec Check interrogation, your first hard selling to donate a large sum to some lofty goal of the church. The Super Power building for example. Great goal! Never mind they have been building for twenty years and gullible suckers have already donated more than 150 million towards it (geez, where did it all go?)....

Of course you never receive the promised super powers, but by that time you believe that it is your own fault and that you must be the only Scientologist who doesn't get the promised results.

Now skip a couple of decades and you'll have arrived in the innermost and craziest layers of Scientology. You have no idea what goes on in there. It's insane, Manson Family, Waco, Heaven's Gate type of insane. Running around a pole in the desert all day long in their gulag. That kind of crazy stuff. Read counterfeitdreams.blogspot.com for a well-written story.

By all means..have fun playing with the culties, but do not be fooled...after Hubbard found out how to brainwash people he scripted it all out for others to follow and tinkered with the system for 20 years. Personally, it scares the shit out of me, and I wouldn't touch a Scilon building with a ten foot pole.

The Popular Guru said...

Wow! I think you're right. It DOES scare the shit outta me too. Good thing I didn't "take the test". Thanks for reading!